So you want a holiday but first you need to work out if you can go on holiday. Some things unfortunately will prevent you from going anywhere.


If you don't have a passport or your passport has expired then you should do this first and find out how long it will take. You can pay more for a fast track service but there are no guarantees.

Current pricing can be found on the DirectGov website. They make it very clear that it's not their problem if you book a holiday before getting your passport and they don't deliver in time.


A European Health Insurance Card is a must when travelling in the EU. Previously called a E111 it basically gives you access to free and reduced cost essential medical care in all EEA countries should you need it.

It doesn't cost you anything to get one, but if you don't have one you and require medical care abroad you could be landed with a hefty bill.

You don’t actually need the physical card to travel so if you don't have one you can phone up and get a reference number. Simply take the reference number and details of who to phone should you have a problem. Check out the DirectGov website to apply or renew your existing card.

Also watch out for websites offering the EHIC at a cost. The card is free and should cost you nothing. The Post Office does offer a check and send service, which you pay for to make sure you have provided all the relevant details. If you are applying online however it should cost you nothing.

It is also worth noting that just because you have an EHIC card does not mean you can travel without proper insurance.

Time off Work

Sounds obvious but its a good idea to book time off work before booking. Ideally do a quick search to see when the deals are so you can work out dates.

But it may be that you are restricted by job responsibilities. So it's best to get time off first rather than book a holiday only for your boss to say you can't have time off.

Show More
Loading data...